Excellent Adventure, Day 2--Continued, September 11, 2009

OK, so we have completed our visit to the WWII Memorial and move across the street to the east to the Washington Monument. We didn't take the time to stand in line and tour the interior. But again, my thoughts turned to the "indispensable man" of the American revolution and the principles that formed and drove him--traits conspicuously absent in his present successor.

We went to visit the Smithsonian which was very interesting but not terribly inspiring by comparison. After a short lunch at the "Old Post Office" we visited the Ford Theater where President Lincoln was assassinated. Again, this was interesting to me, particularly as a cop getting to see the "crime scene," and the perspectives it affected, but my thoughts and feelings were essentially a repeat of those experienced at his Memorial.

The National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial

But after this, I took the opportunity to separate from the group and venture to the Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. Being the anniversary of the September 11 attacks, I expected a crowd. However, I was both relieved and somewhat dismayed that the Memorial was absolutely empty except for what appeared to be a homeless man taking a break lounging on one of the walls. Now, in his defense, he wasn't laying on the walls bearing the names of fallen officers, but one of the lower walls opposite the names. I noted that there were pencils and etching papers provided as well as an alphabetic book provided to help visitors locate specific names as they are distributed on the walls with the same randomness by which they sacrificed their lives. I was struck by the thickness of the book and the sheer weight of the tremendous amount of those who lost their lives in the line of duty protecting their communities.

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman made the observation that our nation's warrior class is divided into two groups. "The Sword" is represented by those serving in the military that extend themselves and their strength beyond our borders, hunting down and eliminating those who would do us harm. "The Shield" is represented by those who serve here at home, watching our soldiers' "six," and working to root out the threats from within.

That reminder was all the more significant, it seemed, on this day: September 11. On that fateful day in 2001, cowardly terrorists attacked us at home and stole over 3,000 innocent lives. But we must never forget that among those lives that were taken, there were some that were freely and selflessly given. As I reflected on those brave souls I was also aware that that selfless sacrifice was also made by every officer whose name was engraved upon those walls--that this place was a timeless reminder of the finest tradition of honor and service our great nation has come to represent.

But as I rounded the Memorial, noting the lions that watch over their young at every corner, I encountered the panels that bore the names of those lost on 9/11. there were roses left on top of each panel and a small placard left w/ the names of those who sacrificed their lives to save others on that day. I saw a man taking an etching of one of the NYPD names. He carefully and thoughtfully paused, perhaps offered a silent prayer and quietly placed a patch on the wall on that panel. I gave him time and distance to finish what he had come there to do. When it was apparent his mind had returned to the present, I asked if he was with NYPD. He said he was. I shook his hand and expressed my sorrow for the loss his department and he had suffered. He asked if I was a cop and I told him about my background. I asked him to please stay safe and said goodbye. I continued toward the reflecting pool before I moved on in my "tour" of the city. The officer called to me and presented me with one of his patches, explaining he had removed it from one of his uniforms that week. I thanked him, but could manage little more as I struggled to hold back the tears. I never got his name, but will never forget him and will always treasure his gift.

The National Archives

I left the Memorial and made my way back toward the Capitol and the Mall, intending to hook back up with the rest of the group. As I walked reflecting on the experiences of this day I looked up at yet another imposing building (there are many in this city). On each side of the steps leading to the doors are large statues. Before me was one of a seated man, holding a sword. Beneath him were engraved the words, "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

It then dawned on me that I had stumbled upon the National Archives. This was one of the places on my personal wish list that I was beginning to think I would miss out on due to time constraints. I saw it was near closing time and there was a long line to get inside, but I decided it was worth the attempt.

I managed to get inside. I have to admit that I was not as impressed as I thought I would be when inside. The impact of being in the same room with our nation's founding documents didn't fully hit me until later that evening when I was alone in my hotel room reflecting on the day. On display are the Magna Carta, The Declaration of Independence, The United States Constitution and the original Bill of Rights. The Magna Carta was, if I remember correctly, dated from 1259. The information there indicated that the original was written in 1215 but it was rewritten every year. This one previously belonged to Ross Perot, but another private investor purchased it from him for $21.5 million to keep it on display at the Archives.

The Declaration was dimly lit and the writing has faded so much as to be almost illegible. But it's there--the document that was handled and signed by each of those men who bravely pledged their "lives, fortunes and sacred honor" that we might be free. Likewise, the entire Constitution is now on display (not just the first and last pages as was previously done). That and the Bill of Rights, drafted to protect the liberties they fought, bled, died and impoverished themselves to secure for us. It struck me that this was a fitting end to this day and a fitting prelude to our purpose for the following day. Again, duty--the duty of a free citizen of a democratic republic under assault-- demanded of me that I do all in my power, even if that requires the sacrifice of my own life, fortune and sacred honor, to defend these documents, the principles enshrined therein and the nation they established.

The simple reality is that when we allow the government to encroach on liberties in any way, no matter how necessary or noble the reason may appear in particular exigencies, we open the door to growing tyranny. Certainly the march of time has revealed this tendency and exposed the roots of our present crisis. We now have in complete control of our government people who are hostile to those documents and all they established. They are hostile to individual liberty and self-determination. They honestly believe that government is the source of answers to all of our societal and personal problems. They have worked tirelessly to "educate" our children that government is the answer to all problems and more trustworthy--that the lessons of history should be devoutly ignored and that we focus only on the soundbites of today. Thoughtless and mindless departure from the liberties secured at so high a price must not be allowed!

The Declaration of Independence
(They keep the lights low and don't allow flash photography in order to protect the documents)

The Night of 9/11

We went out to eat again and as we were returning to the hotel, we found that the Tea Party Express was parked in the lot across the street and a crowd had gathered to greet them. We decided to look in. As we got close to the group of people gathered around the bus, the crowd spontaneously began to sing "God Bless America." I couldn't help it. I got pretty misty-eyed. People were smiling and having a great time, despite the very serious concerns that brought us together. It heightened my excitement for the coming day and the March. I also wondered what, if any opposition we'd face along the way.

Next, The March! ... and I shut up about my trip... (Yippee!)

Comments